Campbell Luscombe Architects have also a recognised expertise in the creation of contextual architecture sympathetic to historic and culturally significant built environments. The new parish centre complex and rectory at All Saints Church Woollahra, adjacent to the heritage listed All Saints Church (Edmund Blackett – Arch. 1876), has been recognised within the architectural profession and related bodies by winning for the then quite young practice, a number of significant architectural awards.
The project which housed the ancillary church activities and the new Rector’s residence, shaped the building elements around a focusing courtyard that used the existing rear apse of the historic church as one side of the new formal courtyard. A successful use of detailed brickwork and the manipulation of scale gave an appropriate relationship to the historic church.
The buildings were to receive the “National Heritage Award” from the Australian Council of National Trusts, a “Merit Award For Outstanding Architecture” from the NSW Chapter of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects, and the inaugural “John Horbury Hunt Award” for Excellence in a Building of Brick Construction.